Thursday 19 June 2008

D1 justify the following in connection with the production of graphic images to meet a client and user need: software and tools used, file format, im

Visual Impact required a report to justify the Microsoft image I created. It was to be on display at the Birmingham NEC so it needed to be like a poster.



Software and Tools - The software I used to make this image was Photoshop Elements and I think this is a good choice of program to use because you can use many tools on it to manipulation photos and create graphics. Which is good because you can make unique and individual graphics for businesses etc. The fits the clients needs because Photoshop is a popular choice to work with graphics, Photoshop is also good and fits the requirements because it allows me choose different size canvas. When I set up my blank page I set the dimensions to look like a poster (900x1000 pixels). Photoshop also lets users use a number of tools and techniques to create an image to fit the specification, in this particular graphic I used the magic wand tool, background eraser, colour fill, crop, resize and layering techniques. Photoshop is good because I can resize images without them looking too pixelated.

Colour depth - The program also allows me to change colour depth, it's default colour depth is 72 which conveys good colours and quality, I could easily change the colour depth to a smaller amount, but I did not do this because it would allow less colours visible on the poster. High colour depth is an advantage to this production because it means the print outs will be good to meet the user and client needs and because it is a display, the colour depth needs to be high for nice print outs. Changing the resolution is also an option when using Photoshop.

Image resolution - Image resolution is measured in ppi (pixels per inch) and printer resolution is measured in dpi (dots per inch). Images with higher dpi values have more data and result in higher print quality. You can resize images, to create a larger print size, but the print quality can decrease due to the reduced print resolution (ppi). I am using a standard image resolution setting so I have considering the quality printer outs for the clients needs when printed out to be a poster.

File Format - It was originally saved as a Photoshop Elements image, then to upload on Blogger, I had to save the file as a Jpg or Gif because the Photoshop file was too large for blogger to be able to store it on the blog. Jpg and Gif are the best file formats because they don't allow too much quality to be lost on the graphic and they do a good job of making the size of the file smaller. This fits the client needs because the image can be saved to different formats without looking a lot different to the original, so the graphic can be sent to other computers without them having Photoshop Elements and the image can be opened onto different programs.

No comments: